Susan 035

This is another rendition of my simple top block with a drapey collar added in to it. In this project, I re-traced the pattern pieces because they were starting to get a little wrecked. I lengthened the front and back and then added pockets to the side seams because who doesn’t love a dress with pockets?

The fabric is an orange heathery knit, and it’s lined in simple knit lining. The collar isn’t lined, it’s just cut and folded.

Front of dress. The top of the bodice got a little wrinkly where I put the lining and outer fabric together with a sleeve hole binding.

Front of dress. The top of the bodice got a little wrinkly where I put the lining and outer fabric together with a sleeve hole binding.

Back side!

Back side!

Here is the collar. It's a shaped pattern piece, wide at one end and narrow at the other, cut on a piece of fabric that is folded in 4.

Here is the collar. It’s a shaped pattern piece, wide at one end and narrow at the other, cut on a piece of fabric that is folded in 4.

Maybe one day I should properly analyze this pattern to see what it would be like to make it available as a PDF. Gah that sounds like a lot of work though. And it’s not really what I’m doing this for, anyway.

Onwards towards the Seasonal Sew Wardrobe! Here is my second project in the capsule wardrobe of ten looks which I’m attempting to complete by March 15. I’d say it’s 50/50 as to whether I’ll finish things.

Today’s project was Burda 7082, a dress that looks like it has a wrap front (but it doesn’t).

Pattern envelope photo for Burda 7082

Pattern envelope photo for Burda 7082

When I was putting this together on the dress form, it really looked like it was going to turn out sad, droopy and awful. I’m using a deep blue textured knit from stash. I don’t normally wear this colour, but I bought it when I acquired the heather / leaf knits that I used for the cardigan sweater. A crossed-over bodice is often challenging to fit properly so you don’t end up with sagginess or gaping which ends up showing off more of your ladies than you’d like. With the addition of some non-stretchy interfacing (Armo Weft) along the facing, I think I have succeeded with this project.

The whole look

The whole look

Close-up of the crossed-over front and the criss-cross front detail.

Close-up of the crossed-over front and the criss-cross front detail. Thanks to the weird lighting in front of my door, this actually makes me look as pale and stiff as a mannequin. Odd.